Friday, 28 July 2017

Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse

It's been quite some time since I've had any Ritter Sport, even though I really enjoy their chocolate it's not one that I often purchase unless I see a new one that I haven't tried before.

Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse


That's why I was fairly pleased when someone bought me this Cocoa Mousse bar that I had yet to sample. Described as "Alpine milk chocolate with a whipped cocoa crème filling (40%)", it sounded pretty tasty, I was hoping the mousse filling would be light, fluffy and melt in the mouth.

Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse   
Unlike the other Ritter Sport bars which come in a 4x4 cube format I was quite surprised to see that the pieces in this bar were a lot bigger in a 3x3 format, but still weighing in at 100g. Sometimes when you snap the strips of chocolate apart you get an idea of the filling that lurks inside; however this wasn't the case here, I wasn't going to get to find out until I bit in.

Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse

Biting a piece off you could clearly see the dark mousse interior contrasting with the lighter Alpine milk chocolate coating; although to call it a "mousse", I thought, was a bit of a push. The filling looked dense and slightly dry, certainly not lightly whipped like I would expect a mousse to be.


Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse


This certainly came through on the eat as well; it wasn't light and fluffy and felt a lot drier than I expected, almost as if someone had added a bit too much cocoa powder to the mix. I wondered whether I had maybe got a bad bar but looking at other people's photos on Google as to what their interior looked like, it looked exactly the same, dense and un-mousse-like.

Ritter Sport Cocoa Mousse

I wish I could say the flavour elevated the experience but it really didn't. The exterior Alpine milk chocolate was as delicious as ever, very creamy, milky and light but I found the filling quite unpleasant. As with the texture it felt as if someone had slipped with the cocoa, having a dark, bitter raw cocoa powder flavour. I'd have love to have seen this made with a lightly whipped milk, white or dark chocolate mousse but unfortunately this is filled with more like a cocoa powder paste. Unfortunately not one I'll be rushing back to.



Taste - 4.8/10 - Alpine milk chocolate as delicious as ever but the filling just tasted of cocoa powder.

Texture - 4.0/10 - The densest "mousse" I've ever had.
Appearance - 6.3/10 - I quite like the 3x3 format, the appearance of the "mousse" lets the bar down, I expect to see fluffiness.
Price - 5.0/10 - I'm not sure what the person who bought this paid for it but I'd imagine it would be priced in line with other Ritter Sport bars, around £1.50, I'd definitely opt for other bars.
Overall - 5.0/10 - Very disappointing.

________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone looking for a cocoa heavy, denser bar.

WHERE TO BUY?
Different Ritter Sport bars often pop up in bargain shops, I believe the person who got this bought it from Home Bargains.

2 comments:

  1. Such a shame you didn't enjoy it! I really liked the cocoa-bitter contrast with the filling. I've found German flavour combos do tend towards a contrast rather than something that's similar and complimentary - so you'll find tart redcurrants in abundance on slightly sweet cake, topped with a dusting of icing sugar. I think it's the same principle here. In defence of the bar, I expected it to be a slightly bitter, cocoa based filling, after all - that's it's name! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Never mind. I'm glad you liked it more :)! Generally I don't particularly enjoy sharp contrasting flavours and prefer flavours that complement each other so I was kind of hoping that this bar would maybe be a bit more of a creamier 'cocoa' base. Thankfully someone else in my family enjoyed it!

      Delete