Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Wonka Edible Garden Bitter & Sweet

Along with the Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight that I picked up in Japan I also bought this less obviously named Wonka Edible Garden Bitter & Sweet (once again produced by Nestlé). I attempted Google Translate multiple times in an attempt to work out what was in the bar but gave up and just guessed that by the colour of the packaging and the name that it would be one of two things (I hoped) - either mint or matcha. I was leaning slightly towards matcha what with this bar being found in Japan but until I opened it and tried it there was no way of knowing.

Wonka Edible Garden Bitter Sweet

The bar, as with the other, came foil wrapped in a card box, with the chocolate being formed into slightly bubbled pieces - a bit like what the new Aero bars are like.


Wonka Edible Garden Bitter Sweet

As I started to snap strips off I was met with a dark green interior, my thoughts were right...either mint or matcha. I couldn't detect any mint aroma, which is normally quite prevalent when mint is used, so therefore I was even more certain now that the flavour would be matcha.

Wonka Edible Garden Bitter Sweet


I was right! Biting into the chocolate I was met with the familiar, grassy, slightly bitter matcha flavour that I love and adore. Personally I think it would have paired better with sweeter white chocolate but it still works well with the milk chocolate here; although the chocolate isn't of the best quality and as with the other bar tastes slightly like a less creamy Yorkie. However the main thing here is thankfully that this bar does actually taste of matcha, it's not one that claims to use a flavour an then doesn't come through, it's there in abundance.

Wonka Edible Garden Bitter Sweet

In terms of texture I'm not really sure what the filling was meant to be - it's not aerated or soft and mousse like or truffle-like. It kind of feels as if white chocolate and matcha have been melted down together and put into the centre of this bar with the set very similar to what a standard bar of chocolate is like. Therefore unfortunately it doesn't offer much of a textural contrast to the milk chocolate exterior. I think it would have been nicer if they'd made this into more a ganache type texture to make the filling smoother and more melt in the mouth.

Nevertheless I'm sure I'll still enjoy chipping away at this bar and I'm sure any matcha lover would feel the same.

Taste - 6.9/10 - The milk chocolate isn't the best quality by any means but the matcha flavour is spot on, slightly grassy and bitter sweet.
Texture - 3.9/10 - I was really disappointed by the lack of textural contrast.
Appearance - 7.2/10 - The packaging is fairly fun looking.
Price - 5.0/10 - I paid around £6 for this, a bit overpriced but if you want to try something a bit different it's worth picking up.
Overall - 5.8/10 - Quite nice but not a bar I would repeat purchase if it were available in the U.K.

__________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?

Matcha lovers.

WHERE TO BUY?
I bought this in Japan in a store in Tokyo Skytree, you'll most likely be able to pick it up on eBay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment